Tuesday, February 3, 2009

White Flakes on Brown Skin

No, my first blog is not about dandruff. It's not about racism, breakfast cereal, coconuts, the decline of morality, the conspiracy theory, the plethora of funky grooves I drown myself in night after night, or even Barack Hussein Obama. And although I might not be brownest woman on the planet, I'm paying homage to all my beautiful woman of color (white IS a color) and all the things that can be done to overcome the monotony of our home in native land's winter weather. Even as I pass by the window of my office, I can't help but awwww at the enormity of snow that has befallen us...it's just insane.

Here's ways I keep sane during a winter recession:

1. Hit the gym like it's nobody's biz. That way you'll be ahead of everyone once summer comes around. Find a trainer, a buddy, your mama, your neighbor, your neighbor's dog....do what you can to keep the glow glowin.

2. Hot Yoga. This has to be the best way to keep my skin hydrated and meditating in 100F temperature will give you the feeling of a being in a tropical paradise...as long as you keep your eyes closed although you may be pleased to see the other heavenly bods in your class. Just SMILE.

3. Watch a hellava lotta movies. One of my favorite pastimes since I grew up running my Baba's video store. Indie, world, hot docs, Hollywood, Bollywood, Lollywood, heck watch Dirty Dancing for the 50th time (by the way, this is the best romantic flick ever made, they call me Baby).

4. Go to work. Yes, this is the best time to make a living so I can splurge when the sun shines. This is the most productive season for most of us, what else are you gonna do all day?

5. Learn to knit. This is on my to-do list, really.

6. Play Rock Band. It rocks.

7. Read at least one classic novel.

8. Spend time with the ones I love. Your friends and family are as desperate for love and connection as you are. So go ahead and love more.

9. Plan a vacation. One of my favorites. Since we embark on a new year covered to our heads with snow, it's the best time to plan the rest of the year. Actually, I began the year with a short but relaxing getaway to San Francisco. Just do it even if you have to go broke.

10. Snowboard, ski, skate...whatever doesn't break your neck.

11. Pray. For the health of my family and friends, the love of my lives that are my nieces and nephew, that I don't come across any haters this year, that your stock portfolio doesn't take a nose dive, moreover for a shortass winter.

12. Eat chocolate with my girls.

13. Chill and smoke some sheesha with my favourite guy.

14. One word...WINTERLICIOUS.

15. Live life to the fullest...you only have one!

16. Cuddle into my mama's belly...it's my most favorite place besides the beach.

17. Moisturize my face, hair, nails, and skin. Everyday, twice a day.

18. Drink lots of WATER.

19. Open up a Blog account. D-uh...

I could go on and, oh, do I wish I could and probably will in future posts but it's time to save and publish. Hey, this wasn't so bad at all. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment